Congrats on your first trip across the pool by yourself! #swimmingwithmike
According to the Oxford Dictionaries, the word of the year for 2013 is “selfie.” And why not? Usage has gone up 17,000% since this time last year. With that, I thought I’d dispense few selfie observations mixed in with a little selfie advice.
1) “The Weiner selfie.” This brand of selfie does not need to contain a picture of Anthony Weiner in order to fall into this category. Ladies and gentlemen, please remember that we leave digital footprints with every keystroke we make both in public and in what you think may be private. Even if you don’t put it on the internet. When you press “send” to anyone, you send to the world.
2) “The be aware of the of the wardrobe selfie.” Pictured below, this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry’s love interest only seems to have one wardrobe. Might want to mix it up a bit. Three times on the same dress in a close date range? You can do better than that.
3) “The car selfie.” I don’t know what it is about the car selfie. Could it be that you are just dressed, fresh and ready to go? Does the rear view mirror give you the idea? Whatever it is, the car selfie seems to be one of the most popular selfies out there. At least I see people wearing their seat belts more often than not.
4) “The Bathroom selfie.” Think you’re hot? Think you’re really the shit? Well, you may or may not have great physical attributes, but the bathroom selfie (just the thought of it) doesn’t really help you out. With a bathroom selfie, you really are the shit. Avoid at all costs.
5) “The leg selfie.” I get it. You’re at the beach and I’m not. Maybe I’m just jaded on this one since I’m in Miami. I’d be interested in your thoughts on the leg selfie.
6) The peace sign selfie.” I don’t even know if a peace sign is called a peace sign anymore– I’m so not hip. Maybe this is some type of code for something else, but I sure see a lot of them. The bottom picture happens to be of my son and he refuses to explain the peace sign thing to me…
7) “The I’m not aware of what’s in the background selfie.” This is a variation of “The Wiener selfie ” but warrants its own little mention here.
8) “Best use of the selfie, selfie.” Many have given the Pope Francis selfie the selfie of the year nod.
But to me, the below is the best selfie series I have seen.
So congratulations you! It’s the year of the selfie. Please let me know what some of your favorite selfie types are or what I missed here.
Hope everyone has been well.
As a quick postscript, I will add that Twerk was in the running. Thank goodness for small miracles.
The GoPro HD camera is a pain in the butt to program, learn and use, but once you get the hang of it, it’s a digital must for South Florida. Yes, this is a full HD still and video camera but for today, let’s talk about stills.
The 5 megapixel GoPro Hero is the coolest thing in cameras since the ill-fated Flip. As a still camera, you can set it at three different resolutions with the widest giving you an unbelievable 170 degree view.
That is if you can set it at all. The GoPro user manual makes the IKEA assembly instructions look like “Green Eggs and Ham.” Really guys, this is a complex electronic device and I get a two sheet fold out??? By comparison, one of my Nikon manuals is 223 pages. So bring your patience and enlist the help of a tech-savvy 12 year old. I guarantee once you figure it out, you’ll love what you can do. Shoot single shots, three frame bursts or set it to shoot at 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 second intervals. But just like a point and shoot, it’s anyone’s guess when the shutter will go off so take lots of shots.
Another huge obstacle to the faint of heart is the lack of a viewfinder so you only have a general idea of what you’ve got until you download your shots. I don’t blame them for that one. It is what it is. It’s also the ultimate P.O.V. camera. My dentist really had no idea what I was doing when I shot this last Ash Wednesday…
It comes with a waterproof housing and is tough as nails. But be careful in open water; the HD Hero does not float.
The GoPro comes with a bunch of accessories so you can mount it to a helmet and shoot as you jump out of a plane. Sorry I have no personal sample on that one yet. I’d have to say that this is the best 300 bucks I’ve spent in recent memory.
I like it so much that I’m going to get at least another one which will come in handy for covering multiple angles at the same time. That will be especially useful for rolling film which is another post for another day.
I think we officially made it. No more feeling like we’re walking through hot yogurt. We’re in the 60’s at night. What a weekend! Here is an unretouched picture of the sky yesterday from my Blackberry:
It’s a day when blue was only surpassed by pink when 21,000 people participated at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure downtown. It was a day for the top down. A beautiful day for a birthday party at The Venetian Pool. And a beautiful day to take pictures. Even pictures taken in the shade looked nicer! Here are a few snapshots of this beautiful day:
Now if we could only Xerox this weather for about 6 months. I’m getting away from this computer and heading out. What’s your favorite part of having weather like this? Congratulations everyone!