According to the Oxford Dictionaries, the word of the year for 2013 is “selfie.” And why not? Usage has gone up 17,000% since this time last year. With that, I thought I’d dispense few selfie observations mixed in with a little selfie advice.
1) “The Weiner selfie.” This brand of selfie does not need to contain a picture of Anthony Weiner in order to fall into this category. Ladies and gentlemen, please remember that we leave digital footprints with every keystroke we make both in public and in what you think may be private. Even if you don’t put it on the internet. When you press “send” to anyone, you send to the world.
2) “The be aware of the of the wardrobe selfie.” Pictured below, this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry’s love interest only seems to have one wardrobe. Might want to mix it up a bit. Three times on the same dress in a close date range? You can do better than that.
3) “The car selfie.” I don’t know what it is about the car selfie. Could it be that you are just dressed, fresh and ready to go? Does the rear view mirror give you the idea? Whatever it is, the car selfie seems to be one of the most popular selfies out there. At least I see people wearing their seat belts more often than not.
4) “The Bathroom selfie.” Think you’re hot? Think you’re really the shit? Well, you may or may not have great physical attributes, but the bathroom selfie (just the thought of it) doesn’t really help you out. With a bathroom selfie, you really are the shit. Avoid at all costs.
5) “The leg selfie.” I get it. You’re at the beach and I’m not. Maybe I’m just jaded on this one since I’m in Miami. I’d be interested in your thoughts on the leg selfie.
6) The peace sign selfie.” I don’t even know if a peace sign is called a peace sign anymore– I’m so not hip. Maybe this is some type of code for something else, but I sure see a lot of them. The bottom picture happens to be of my son and he refuses to explain the peace sign thing to me…
7) “The I’m not aware of what’s in the background selfie.” This is a variation of “The Wiener selfie ” but warrants its own little mention here.
8) “Best use of the selfie, selfie.” Many have given the Pope Francis selfie the selfie of the year nod.
But to me, the below is the best selfie series I have seen.
So congratulations you! It’s the year of the selfie. Please let me know what some of your favorite selfie types are or what I missed here.
Hope everyone has been well.
As a quick postscript, I will add that Twerk was in the running. Thank goodness for small miracles.